Steven Curtis Chapman
may be available for your next special event!
Of the many singer-songwriters to emerge from Christian music in the '80s and '90s, probably no one has had greater intuitive command of the various idioms of rock 'n' roll than Steven Curtis Chapman.
What do you do when you've had 29 number one singles, won every major award and sold more than four million albums? Steven Curtis Chapman, a nine-time Gospel Music Association Songwriter of the Year, decided to take a year off to spend time with his family and contemplate his next move. 1998 turned out to be a roller coaster year of joy and pain.
Steven Curtis Chapman was thrust back into the spotlight during his sabbatical by the tragic shooting at his
alma mater, Heath High School, in Paducah, Kentucky. He made several trips to his hometown to offer emotional support and did a benefit for the victims' families. Tragedy struck again when a close family friend lost a daughter in a traffic accident.
"God is good, and I want to celebrate His goodness, even in the midst of the confusion and difficulties of life and unanswerable questions."
The musical influences on his album, "Speechless," included
Collective Soul, The Wallflowers and The Dave Matthews Band. "I'm probably more influenced in terms of new music by what my kids like. That could be everything from
The Supertones and Ska music to Newsboys and Delirious?."
Lyrically, Steven Curtis Chapman continues to be influenced by great Christian authors of past and present. The biography of Jim Elliot, "Through Gates of Splendor," and Oswald Chambers' life story, "Abandoned to God," had a
profound impact on Steven. "These two books got me thinking about what I am doing that really matters? These two guys lived lives that said 'right now at this moment am I doing what I think looks the most like obedience to God, and am I surrendering to His will?' They were just radically committed to the Gospel."
An avid reader, Chapman has also absorbed books by classic authors including A.W. Tozer and Corrie Ten Boom. Contemporary writers Chapman admires include Phillip Yancey, David McCullough, Mike Yaconelli and Brennan Manning. "Manning's book 'Abba's Child,' deeply affected. I'm so astonished at God's love, and I want to be captured by it and invite others into that process with me."
Steven Curtis Chapman was invited to participate in several major projects during his sabbatical. He contributed "I Will Not Go Quietly" to the Grammy Award winning "The Apostle" soundtrack and filmed a music video featuring the star of the movie, Robert Duvall. Chapman also contributed a song to the gold-selling album inspired by the hit movie, "The Prince of Egypt - Nashville."
As Chapman moves forward with a new chapter in his musical career, he takes a moment to look back from where he's come. "I'm having to shift into not being the new kid on the block. So this was 'where do you go beyond established artist and what
does that look like?' "Chapman has decided to let others contemplate that question as he moves on with his mission in life. His time away has rekindled the fire of his faith.
"I was able to get far enough away that I feel like I've come back with a renewed sense of excitement about just
writing and singing songs that talk about my faith in Jesus Christ. The songwriting that was done during that process gave birth to a renewed sense of awe and amazement and astonishment.
Gospel Music Association awards include --
- 2002 Pop/Contemporary Album of the Year, Declaration, Artist and Producer
- 2001 Male Vocalist of the Year
- 2000 Male Vocalist of the Year
- 2000 Artist of the Year
- 2000 Pop/Contemporary Recorded Song of the Year "Dive"
- 2000 Pop/Contemporary Album of the Year "Speechless"
- 2000 Inspirational Life Awards (INSP Channel) - Inspirational Pop/Contemporary Album of the Year "Speechless"
- 1999 Long Form Video of the Year (for his participation in "My Utmost For His Highest The Concert")
- 1998 Male Vocalist of the Year
- 1998 Songwriter of the Year
- 1998 Pop/Contemporary Recorded Song of the Year "Let Us Pray" (songwriter)
- 1998 Pop/Contemporary Recorded Song of the Year "Let Us Pray" (performer)
- 1998 Special Event Album of the Year (for his contribution to "God With Us")
- 1997 Artist of the Year
- 1997 Male Vocalist of the Year
- 1997 Songwriter of the Year
- 1997 Pop/Contemporary Album of the Year "Signs Of Life"
- 1996 Special Event Album of the Year "My Utmost For His Highest"
- 1995 Artist of the Year
- 1995 Male Vocalist of the Year
- 1995 Songwriter of the Year
- 1995 Contemporary Album of the Year "Heaven In The Real World"
- 1995 Contemporary Recorded Song of the Year "Heaven In The Real World"
- 1995 Praise & Worship Album of the Year "Coram Deo II"
- 1994 Songwriter of the Year
- 1994 Contemporary Recorded Song of the Year "Go There With You"
- 1994 Long Form Music Video of the Year "The Live Adventure"
- 1993 Songwriter of the Year
- 1993 Song of the Year "The Great Adventure"
- 1993 Contemporary Recorded Song of the Year "The Great Adventure"
- 1993 Contemporary Album of the Year "The Great Adventure"
- 1993 Short Form Music Video of the Year "The Great Adventure"
- 1992 Songwriter of the Year
- 1992 Contemporary Album of the Year "For The Sake Of The Call"
- 1991 Artist of the Year
- 1991 Songwriter of the Year
- 1991 Male Vocalist of the Year
- 1990 Artist of the Year
- 1990 Songwriter of the Year
- 1990 Male Vocalist of the Year
- 1990 Inspirational Recorded Song of the Year "His Strength Is Perfect"
- 1990 Southern Gospel Recorded Song of the Year "I Can See The Hand Of God" (by The Cathedrals)
- 1989 Songwriter of the Year
- 1989 Contemporary Recorded Song of the Year "His Eyes"
Hit songs include --
- Remembering You
- How Do I Love Her
- All I Really Want For Christmas
- All Things New
- Much of You
- Believe Me Now
- Miracle of the Moment
- Moment Made For Worshipping
- Go Tell It On The Mountain
- Heaven Is The Face
- Beauty Will Rise
Other notable songs include --
- Lord of the Dance
- Let Us Pray
- No Better Place
- Tuesday's Child
- More to This Life
- My Redeemer Is Faithful and True
- That's Paradise
- Hiding Place
- His Strength Is Perfect
- For the Sake of the Call
Steven Curtis Chapman may be available for your next special event!
.Country Gospel. / CountryGospel
.Inspirational. / xInspirational
.CCM. / xCCM
.Christian Rock. / ChristianRock
.Contemporary Pop/Rock. / ContemporaryPopRock
x80s, x90s, x00s, x10s
Born: ..in Kentucky / born nKentucky
Born: ..in Paduca / born PaducaKY
Born: Nov 21, 1962
Based: ..in US
Based: ..in Tennessee / based nTennessee
Based: ..in Nashville /